Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Singapore roars again!

Whee~ I just came back from Singapore and it was an extremely enjoyable trip. Here are some of the highlights of my one week trip to be shared with you:
_
24th September 2006:
_
My sister and I reached Woodlands at 7.30pm. The traffic was okay though it was quite congested in JB. We headed back to Boon Lay by MRT and had our dinner in a nearby McD.
_
25th September 2006:
_
We went for river cruising after having our buffet lunch at Grand Copthorne Waterfront. The lunch was great and the scenery along Singapore River was magnificent. We boarded the train and alighted at City Hall station and walked through the 350 metres underground CityLink Mall to Marina Square and Suntec City. We did some shopping and indulged ourselves with some cheesecakes and ice cream at Andersen’s and had our dinner together with Reddy at Marina Square.
_
Spectacular night view of Singapore skyscrapers.
_
26th September 2006:
_
I boarded the train to City Hall and did some random explorations after having my lunch at a nearby food village. I visited the Singapore Management University and Chijmes and saw several Government buildings, such as The Treasury and Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA) when I walked down to the Clarke Quay MRT station. I snapped some nice pictures of beautiful Clarke Quay and walked along New Bridge Road to the Chinatown MRT station to meet my sister and Reddy for dinner. Dinner was great and the Mid-Autumn Festival’s lightings in Chinatown were superb.
_
27th September 2006:
_
I spent my day exploring Orchard Road and met my sister and Reddy for dinner at Jurong Point. I had a kakiage rice burger as dinner and had an express hair cut in ecHouse. At night, I watched ‘The Terminal’ again on Starhub satellite television. The urge to explore Changi International Airport appeared suddenly on my mind soon after the movie. :)
_
28th September 2006:
_
As expected, I spent my whole day in Changi International Airport after having an ebi rice burger as my lunch at Mos Burger. The train passed through a total of 25 MRT stations to reach the Changi International Airport. The journey took about 40 minutes. Fortunately, I was accompanied by my loyal MP3 player. I alighted at the Changi International Airport MRT station at Terminal 2 (T2) and boarded a skytrain to Terminal 1 (T1) and returned. Interestingly, I saw lotsa students doing their revisions and assignments at coffee bars and fast food outlets of T1 and T2. Apparently, they like that specific atmosphere very much. Soon after my exploration at both terminals, I hopped a shuttle bus to the new Budget Terminal (BT) to have a look (nothing spectacular though). I completed my ‘Changi exploration’ at 7.30pm. That night, my cousin brother Andy came from KL to join my ‘unique tour’. We had ikan bakar as the main dish for our dinner.
_
29th September 2006:
_
It was my cousin's first trip to Singapore. Therefore I decided to bring him to the great Changi International Airport in the morning. We spent about 2 hours sightseeing in the airport and had our lunch at Burger King of Tampines Shopping Mall in East Singapore. The rest of our day was spent on Orchard Road, again. Unlike Starbucks in Malaysia, the mocha Frappuccino comes together with whipped cream on top in Singapore (a venti mocha Frappuccino priced at S$6.70). All in all, it was an interesting day, albeit I’ve already visited those places few days back. We had our dinner together with sister Lisa and Reddy at Clementi’s New Lucky Claypot Rice. We spent our night at a carnival of the Mid-Autumn Festival in the Chinese Garden. The carnival displayed all sorta fancy light decorations and displays. Supper: Singapore’s famous Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak. ;p
_
30th September 2006:
_
Initially, we planned to spend our day at Bugis but the weather wasn’t good enough. So we decided to visit the Suntec City again. We boarded the train to City Hall and walked through the underground CityLink Mall to the Suntec City. We visited an impressive art fair, ArtSingapore 2006 at Suntec Convention Centre. We went to the Suntec Shopping Mall and spent some time near the Fountain of Wealth, which is the world’s largest fountain. We had our dinner with sister Lisa at Sakae Sushi in Citylink Mall. At night, we went to the Marina Bay. We snapped some great pictures with the Merlion plus the Esplanade and did some midnight shopping at Marina Square.
_
1st October 2006:
_
My sister brought us to Queenstown after having our lunch at Hong Kong Street. On our way back, we dropped by Jurong Point again. At 9pm, I travelled hundreds of kilometre back to my hometown to spend the remaining weeks of my semester break.
_
_
I recalled some of my memories about my alma maters during the approximately 8 hours’ journey back to my hometown. My life at primary school was sorta mundane. I hardly achieve anything remarkable during my six years of schooling in my primary school despite having made lotsa friends to play with. When I was in Secondary 1, I started to gain recognition from my teachers. During the very beginning of my Secondary 1, our teacher asked us to form a facial expression with squares, circles and triangles. She said she could judge our personality by looking at the quantities of squares, circles and triangles that we used. A few days later I was chosen by her as the class treasurer. About a month later, our teacher decided to have another class election and I was voted by my classmates as the class monitor with kinda big majority. A few months later, our Disciplinary Teacher approached me and asked me to join the Prefectorial Board (perhaps I gained a good impression from him – I found a wallet of a Secondary 5’s student and I returned :p). So I did and I never regret. The best thing in my life is getting recognition and trust from others. I appreciate that but sometime I tend to disappoint some of them (perhaps I should make sure it won’t happen again). I found that my childhood was really fun. I appreciate my priceless bonds with people around me, especially my family and relatives as they really made my life much better-off. :)

On September 15th, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew made a statement about Malaysian Chinese being systematically marginalised. It seems to be an undoubted truth to me, albeit he apologised in a letter to our PM recently. Well, Singapore and Malaysia had just celebrated their 41st and 49th National Day respectively. They are geographically proximate but the latter is far less-developed both physically and mentally (older though). The NEP was necessary in the 1970s but it seems that the Government implemented it in a wrong way. Nowadays, the rich Malays are getting richer but the real income of the poor are getting lesser. Having refused the poor (regardless of race) what is necessary, they give the rich Malays what is superfluous. The plights of the poor kampung Malays are often highlighted by various bodies although it seems that many of the Malays in major cities and suburbs are filthy rich. tsk tsk. What we need now is a way to make our economies both efficient and fair.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites